There are so many reasons to eat your veggies.
The fiber in vegetables keeps you regular. They are full of vitamins and nutrients that keep your body healthy. Plus, they taste good and make meal time interesting.
Did you know that eating your veggies can also have a major impact on your brain? In one study, people who ate a lot of veggies were compared to people who didn’t eat many. The people who ate the most vegetables had rates of cognitive decline up to 40% less over a 6 year period.
Are you craving veggies right about now? Try this veggie-packed recipe for your next meal.
Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Salad Sandwich
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large avocado
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole wheat bread or pita
- Sandwich toppings of your choice: tomato, lettuce, spinach, sprouts, etc.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Dry on a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher, smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread salad on bread or pita and add your favorite toppings.
- Morris, M. C., Evans, D. A., Tangney, C. C., Bienias, J. L., & Wilson, R. S. (2006). Associations of vegetable and fruit consumption with age-related cognitive change. Neurology, 67(8), 1370–1376. doi: 10.1212/01.wnl.0000240224.38978.d8